Sunday, October 9, 2011

Harlem Grieves #9

In December of 2006 I happened to be in New York for Christmas week at the same time that James Brown, the Godfather of Soul, passed away.  Although New York is an immense place, I just happened to be staying with relatives in Harlem, literally walking distance to 125th Street and the famed Apollo Theater.  When it was announced that he would lay in state at the Apollo and that members of the public were welcome to pay their respects, I had to go. There aren't many celebrities for whom I would stand in line in 45 degree weather, but he was an exception.  I grabbed my daughter, then twelve years of age, and took her to pay our respects to the Godfather of Soul.  Of course, I also took my camera. [more after the break]


The intersection of Lenox Avenue and 125th Street is always buzzing with activity, with people coming and going, in all directions and at all times of the day.  This time, though, it was different.  It seemed as if the entire populace was seized with a common purpose.  The closer we got to the Apollo, the more people seemed to be walking with us, until finally, I saw the rear of the line.  Needless to say, it wasn't anywhere near the Apollo.  It was about 3.00 PM.

The people in line were somber, the tone subdued but respectful.  We waited in line for four hours, with the temperature dropping and no water or facilities nearby.  I took photos throughout the four hours and finally came within view of the Apollo.  The photo above, Harlem Grieves #9, was the last or one of the last I took that night.  The funny thing, though, is that I didn't actually frame the shot.  I appear to be standing well above the crowd.  In reality, I was at their level and just held my camera aloft and fired off about six or seven shots. This one is my favorite of the evening; it is also one of my favorite images of all time.

The street to the left-hand side of the image is 125th Street.  The billboard sign to the top of the image is that of the Victoria Theater, with the Apollo billboard visible in the center of the image, off in the distance.

This image captures the entire day in a single shot.  The somber but subdued crowd, marching with peaceful dignity, six or seven abreast, to see a fallen icon of American culture.  The Apollo billboard in the background, the eulogy at the top and even the baseball cap in the foreground bearing the words "New York".    It is one of my favorite shots and is currently on display at the Grovehouse Artists Gallery in Coconut Grove, Florida.

The remaining photos in the Harlem Grieves Series can be seen at my web site gallery or on my Flickr feed.  Because of these are black & white images, they are unavailable for purchase from my website but may be specially ordered by sending me an email to photos@ralphventura.com

No comments:

Post a Comment