Monday, November 14, 2011

Zen and the City

Zen and the City
I've been going over some old photos, just for chucks and grins I guess.  Nothing in particular, just checking out what I've done in the past, how I've grown as an artist, how my technique has changed and came across this image.  

I remember taking this photo in 2004, walking down the streets of Midtown Manhattan at the height of Christmas week, tourists everywhere, the crowds, the hustle, the bustle, the grit, the rush, I really remember it all for some reason.  What I also remember, is the space passersby gave the six people on the sidewalk.  

If you've ever walked the streets of Midtown in the middle of the day you'll understand the the crowd.  For those who haven't, picture an intense river of people, a river oftentimes possessed of its own power, one that pushes and pulls, ebbs and flows to its own will, irrespective of any one individual's desire.  If you're not careful, you'll be caught up in it and miss your destination.  

This river of people made a wide berth for the six on the sidewalk.  Impressive, I thought.  Impressive I still think. [more after the break]


I don't know what they were praying for.  I don't even know if they were praying.  Perhaps they were engaged in silent meditation.  Maybe they were contemplating the nature of the universe.  Maybe they were engaged in a silent protest against the War in Iraq, it was 2004 after all and Iraq was on fire.

I don't know what they were doing I just know I love this photo.  I love it as much for the six as I do for the young blonde girl looking at them pensively.  What's she thinking? What did her seven (?) year old mind make of this?  Does she remember it at all now? Who knows, but I do love the photo.

Click here to purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment