Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tommy and His All Girl Band

Becca, center, Tommy on the Drums

A couple of years ago, I lived the life we all see on TV shows: big and spacious apartment in a hip neighborhood and really interesting and fun neighbors who would just pop in at any time of the day. It was pretty cool, actually. One of them was a guy named Tommy. Young, kinda brash but good hearted, Tommy was a drummer who held down a regular job only on occasion. He was a the age when jobs are still optional. The only downside was that he would drum all day. For many, this wouldn't be an issue but I work from home most of the time. Otherwise, Tommy was great.

One day Tommy shows up at my door asking if I would photograph his band play at Jazid's, a local bar. “It'll be great exposure” he said. “You can hand out lots of cards.” Translation: “Would you please shoot this for free?” “Sure”, I said, after all, this was Tommy and it was an “all-girl” band. Who could refuse? So, I went to the venue with my Canon and a very fast lens. 

Becca as Janice Joplin
When I got there I found out that the lead singer had gotten (hired?) another photographer as well and that he was shooting with a flash and a really crappy lens. Now, if you've ever seen a bar during the day with all the lights turned on you'll know why this is just a really bad idea. These places are full of dust and other crap just strewn around – flash illuminates everything, dust, cables, critters, whatever. [more after the break]


I wasn't all that better off, though, because there was no direct lighting on the sage. At 1600 ISO and f/2 I can capture just about any light, but I needed some illumination on the stage. After a bit of cajoling I finally prevailed on the bar manager and had two spots trained on the stage. They were rather weak, but they would have to do.

The low lighting meant that the photos would have to be in black and white, which by me is great as that's my preferred medium anyway. The band's lead singer, Becca, was amazing. She had a great on stage presence and could belt out tunes like Janice Joplin. Some of the photos just capture the essence of her performance, the drama and soul of her singing, she literally looks pained. Just beautiful stuff full of contrast and shadows. 

Tommy left the building a few weeks later and I moved out to an even hipper neighborhood a few months after that. That ended my year of TV living as the neighbors in my new place aren't as quirky. I never did find out the name of the band but the photos are some of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment