Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Father's Rangefinder




I first fell in love with photography at the age of fourteen, after borrowing my father’s Konica rangefinder camera.  I immediately appreciated the special magic of the medium: the little box in my hand enabled me to stop time. In a frame of 35mm film, I could literally capture a fleeting slice of existence that was here one moment and then gone the next.

I also very quickly learned an iron rule that governs this special magic: in photography, there are no second chances. What would be a great photo at one moment, may only be a snapshot a moment later, a blink of an eye, a parting of the lips might make all the difference. One moment you’re Robert Capa, a moment later, you’re just a guy with a camera.

Through this blog, I hope to more fully express my love for this craft.  I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I will enjoy writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment